(also baba au rhumō ˈrəm)
A small rich sponge cake, typically soaked in rum-flavored syrup.
- The rich, light, delicate yeast cake, made from flour, eggs, butter, and sugar, is related to brioche, baba, and savarin.
- Well, a rum baba and a treacle tart were atypically heavy.
- Bring soaking liquor to the boil and drop the babas in, rolling them to soak all over and become bloated.
Words that rhyme with babarebar • heelbar • Finbar
1.2 (often Baba) A holy man (often as a proper name or form of address).
- I am told he is a mauna baba (a holy man who has taken a vow of silence).
- It was a framed picture of Shirdi Sai baba with his hand raised in blessing, lean and austere, with a white cloth tied around his head and a trimmed white beard.
- Pray to Sun God and Sri Raghavendra or Shirdi baba on Thursdays.
From Hindi bābā.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan