(also baba ganoush /gəˈno͞oSH/)
- A thick sauce or spread made from ground eggplant and sesame seeds, olive oil, lemon, and garlic, typical of eastern Mediterranean cuisine.More example sentences
- The food is tasty, cheap and plentiful: olives, hummus, baba ganoush (aubergine dip), falafel, kibbeh (lamb meatballs), fasoula, tabouleh (cracked wheat salad).
- Hummus, baba ghanouj, and foul mudammas (fava beans stewed with tomatoes and onion) arrived decked with apple slices, crisp-fried spinach, and sesame seeds.
- They're all excellent, from subtle versions of hummus and baba ghanouj to a rollicking, red-peppery eggplant relish cryptically dubbed ‘eggplant with sauce.’
from Egyptian Arabic, from Arabic bābā, literally 'father' + gannuug, perhaps a personal name.
More definitions of baba ghanoujDefinition of baba ghanouj in:
- The British & World English dictionary