1chiefly literary A baby.
- Nappies haven't figured large in my life since I was a babe in arms.
- She was taken from her true parents when she was a babe in arms, spirited away in the dark of night, wrapped in a blanket of embroidered cashmere.
- It merits our full respect, the very same respect with which we hold both socially and legally the newborn babe, the child, the adolescent, the adult, and the octogenarian.
2 (also babes) informal An affectionate form of address, typically for someone with whom one has a sexual or romantic relationship: I’m the golden boy, babe hey babes, I know it is unscrupulous and underhand, but don’t blame me!
More example sentences
- She absolutely loved it when Bryan called her babe.
- ‘Hey babe, just the girl I was thinking about,’ he told her as he pulled her to him in an intimate kiss.
- I believe that fate has brought us here and we should be together, babe.
3A sexually attractive young woman or girl: he’s been pumping up his pecs to impress the babes
More example sentences
- You know people have midlife crises when they turn 50 and they go out and buy a red Corvette and drive around college campuses to see if they can still attract babes.
- Whether you are going to the beach or the pool, here are some bare essentials for attracting the babes.
- For men, it holds out the fantasy that babes are attracted to geeky men who really, really care about what they think.
informal hottie, looker, bombshell, heartthrob, knockout, fox, (piece of) arm candy, eye-catcher, dish, boy toy, hunk
babe in arms
- A baby that is too young to walk.Example sentences
- He loved to be cradled like a babe in arms.
- With him was his wife, Alice, who had a babe in arms.
- My parents took me, a babe in arms, on their overseas trip.
babe in the woods
- An innocent or naive person, especially one in an unfamiliar or dangerous environment: she was no babe in the woods and knew exactly what she was doing he knows how to handle himself in NY, unlike we mere babes in the wood who live here in SeattleMore example sentences
- Compared to her, I was a babe in the woods.
- But we're babes in the woods when it comes to knowing what's going on with our system.
- I'm not a babe in the woods, and I know very well that saying these things is taboo in American political culture.
With reference to the traditional tale Babes in the Wood, in which two children are abandoned in a wood
Late Middle English: probably imitative of an infant's first attempts at speech. Compare with baby.
Words that rhyme with babeAbe
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.