Definition of babu in English:
noun (plural babus)Indian
1A respectful title or form of address for a man, especially an educated one: I could see Kana-babu’s shop
More example sentences
- Right at that moment, a young boy, hardly 20 or even younger, looked up at me and said sardonically, ‘To propitiate the gods, babu, we do not have to look up these days.’
- Dilip had already done a market survey, and located potential customers, usually villagers who were in the process of building houses - like Ghosh babu.
- No, we are not saying that some famous Bengali babu is coming here to enlighten us on the finer aspects of their admirably rich tradition.
1.1An office worker; a clerk.
- Click your mobile camera for our police babu dozing off at night duty.
- Many of the more experienced contenders have spent decades trying to convince an obstinate babu that they are not dead as shown in Government records.
- How many babu's would lose jobs if slums ceased to exist?
from Hindi bābū, literally 'father'.
Definition of babu in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan