Definition of baccalaureate in English:
1A college bachelor’s degree.
- Recently, St. George's University began offering baccalaureate degree programs at its school of arts and sciences.
- His baccalaureate and doctoral degrees are from the University of Pennsylvania.
- The university could be offering a four-year baccalaureate degree program in midwifery through the faculty of nursing as early as September.
2British An examination intended to qualify successful candidates for higher education.
- To earn a high school diploma, students must take an exam called a baccalaureate.
- Pupils taking a science baccalaureate would be obliged to study a foreign language and those studying the arts version would have to include basic maths and science.
- The Harrogate and Knaresborough MP said the new baccalaureate should allow higher rewards for pupils taking subjects like maths.
3US A religious service held at some educational institutions before commencement, containing a farewell sermon to the graduating class.
- But when I got there on a recent Sunday morning, I learned that it wasn't so much a graduation as a baccalaureate, which is some sort of religious ceremony.
Definition of baccalaureate in:
- British & World English dictionary