Definition of bachelor in English:
1A man who is not and has never been married: Mark is a confirmed bachelor one of the country’s most eligible bachelors
More example sentences
- So I figured there would be lots of attractive, hopefully eligible bachelors and bachelorettes around my age.
- A Bunclody man is officially among Ireland's most eligible bachelors following his selection as an escort in this year's International Rose of Tralee contest.
- Once a selection of eligible bachelors are chosen, the audience then gets to decide who gets kicked out each week as Lisa dates them every episode.
1.1 Zoology A male bird or mammal without a mate, especially one prevented from breeding by a dominant male.
- Most subjects were older than one year; two mated males and two bachelors were yearlings, and one bachelor was of undetermined age.
- Never at ease when alone, bachelor males routinely seek the company of other species of monkey.
- Adolescent males join a roaming bachelor herd and don't mate until they're anywhere from 15 to 20 years old.
2A person who holds an undergraduate degree from a university or college (only in titles or set expressions): he graduated with a bachelor’s degree in philosophy a Bachelor of Arts
More example sentences
- A graduate of Florida State University with a bachelor's degree in marketing, Roffler has more than 11 years of tire-industry experience.
- Palmer is a 1997 graduate of Ohio State University with a bachelor's degree in nursing.
- I transferred from Vassar to Harvard University and graduated Magna Cum Laude with a bachelor of arts degree in economics.
Middle English: from Old French bacheler; of uncertain origin.
- Example sentences
- The 28-year-old is finally ending his bachelorhood.
- Except for the milestone years, such as 21st birthdays, or the last year of your bachelorhood, very seldom are birthdays the fanfares they used to be.
- And even while they were at it, all the guests were waiting for the bridegroom to come out of hiding and put an end to his bachelorhood.
Definition of bachelor in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia