- 1The area of play behind either the offensive or defensive line.More example sentences
- The team is in a state of flux at two spots: the offensive line and the defensive backfield.
- He made three tackles in the Buc backfield and two more at the line of scrimmage.
- To use four wide receivers, the Chargers took some basic pass protection away from the line of scrimmage and the backfield.
- 1.1The players positioned in the backfield.More example sentences
- He has shown the versatility throughout his career to play any position in the defensive backfield.
- After taking a handoff deep in the backfield from the quarterback, the tailback picks a hole based on the blocking in front of him.
- An effective run stuffer, he also can get into the backfield and pressure the quarterback.
More definitions of backfieldDefinition of backfield in:
- The British & World English dictionary