Definition of backfill in English:
Refill (an excavated hole) with the material dug out of it: they backfill the hole to street level
More example sentences
- Finally we backfilled the hole and went to the house to clean up.
- The contractor digs a small hole down about 18 ft., places a 12-in.-diameter slotted pipe in the hole, and backfills it with 0.75-in. washed rock.
- The excavated soil should be mixed with well-rotted organic matter or a tree-planting compost before backfilling the hole.
nounBack to top
Material used for backfilling.
- It also implies, but does not explicitly require, important installation details, such as complete backfilling of the trench and thorough compaction of backfill.
- The use of tire shreds as backfill has benefits ranging from the inherent lightweight of the material to increase in permeability.
- Compaction of backfill materials is normally carried out by mechanical means, to achieve a specified percentage of compactivity.
Definition of backfill in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan