1A backhand stroke or shot in a game.
- All of these tactics can work, just as a slap shot, a snap shot, a wrist shot or a backhander will work in the right situation.
- Gathering the puck, he sent a backhander past the goalie, tying the game.
- There was no hesitation, as there has been with so many other shooters, before he fired a backhander behind the goalie.
1.1A blow made with the back of the hand.
2British informal A secret payment, typically one made illegally; a bribe.
- The problem is not just the bribes and the backhanders, it is the way political parties are financed through private donations.
- Detectives are investigating a senior figure at the Council following claims that the official received backhanders from companies which operated local council contracts.
- His payment for the information he provided was modest, as backhanders go: a small truck.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of backhander in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.