Definition of backhander in English:
1A backhand stroke or shot in a game.
- All of these tactics can work, just as a slap shot, a snap shot, a wrist shot or a backhander will work in the right situation.
- Gathering the puck, he sent a backhander past the goalie, tying the game.
- There was no hesitation, as there has been with so many other shooters, before he fired a backhander behind the goalie.
2British informal A secret payment, typically one made illegally; a bribe.
- The problem is not just the bribes and the backhanders, it is the way political parties are financed through private donations.
- Detectives are investigating a senior figure at the Council following claims that the official received backhanders from companies which operated local council contracts.
- His payment for the information he provided was modest, as backhanders go: a small truck.
Definition of backhander in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan