- 1A passenger in a car who gives the driver unwanted advice.More example sentences
- I would need a sound proof partition for my passengers, though - I can't stand back seat drivers.
- I can't stand back-seat drivers… even worse, passenger-seat drivers.
- 1.1A person who is eager to advise without responsibility.More example sentences
- ‘I'll be in the driving seat because it's the only seat to be in,’ he answered a conference delegate who pointedly asked what the candidates thought of back-seat drivers.
- She failed to appreciate that the term ‘back-seat driver’, in most people's eyes, was pejorative: she thought it merely indicated helpfulness, whereas others saw it as meddling and controlling.
- After all, remember how he once described critics as back-seat drivers facing the wrong way, and certainly critics are usually pretty good on the past, moderately good on the present, and helpless and hopeless for the future.
- More example sentences
- Whatever assessment one makes of the term of a leader who has enjoyed a long and mostly undisturbed innings, it is less easy to forgive back-seat driving designed to sabotage his or her successor.
- How many of us love back-seat driving, even when we love the people who're doing it more than life itself?
- But back-seat drivers and back-seat driving are variations of the same expression.