- The changing of a present tense in direct speech to a past tense in reported speech (or a past tense to pluperfect).More example sentences
- We now have fine tuned our secondary set-up and have a solid backshift in all conditions.
- If the sentence starts in the past, there is often backshift of tenses in Reported speech.
- None of these items refer to eternal truths, and still the writers do not use backshift.
More definitions of backshiftDefinition of backshift in:
- The British & World English dictionary