verb (past backslid; past participle backslid or archaicbackslidden /-ˌslidn/)[no object]
Relapse into bad ways or error: converted vegetarians backslide to T-bones (as noun backsliding) there would be no backsliding from the administration’s sound policies
More example sentences
- In 1936 a system of ‘protection and supervision’ centres was established to keep converts from backsliding.
- He falls from grace, backsliding all the way to the starting line.
- And so we have shattered expectations, disgust at backsliding, abhorrence at the betrayal of the values we hold dear, and a hefty dose of fear - because if the US can backslide, how safe are the rest of us?
relapse, lapse, regress, weaken, lose one's resolve, give in to temptation, go astray, leave the straight and narrow, fall off the wagon
- Example sentences
recidivist, regressor;defector, deserter, turncoat, apostate, fallen angel
- In my last piece titled ‘To hell with backsliders,’ I said that, ‘All over the world regional trading blocks are either being formed or enhanced by political will.’
- But as the slowdown bit, unemployment rose and tax revenues fell, finance ministers became increasingly restive under a regime which asked for balanced budgets and promised fines for backsliders.
- Today the forces offer planned careers for young men and women who are intent on gaining a professional training and there is no room for backsliders, unwilling recruits or recalcitrant conscripts.
Words that rhyme with backslideabide, applied, aside, astride, beside, bestride, betide, bide, bride, chide, Clyde, cockeyed, coincide, collide, confide, cried, decide, divide, dried, elide, five-a-side, glide, guide, hide, hollow-eyed, I'd, implied, lied, misguide, nationwide, nide, offside, onside, outride, outside, pan-fried, pied, pie-eyed, pitch-side, popeyed, pride, provide, ride, Said, shied, side, slide, sloe-eyed, snide, square-eyed, starry-eyed, statewide, Strathclyde, stride, subdivide, subside, tide, tried, undyed, wall-eyed, wide, worldwide
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.