Definition of backstory in English:
noun (plural backstories)
1A history or background created for a fictional character in a motion picture or television program.
- We've run several sets of characters in it now, and the DM really encourages people to create detailed character histories and backstories, which sometimes extends to creating towns, noble houses, historical events, etc.
- The cast has had to create indepth backstories for their characters.
- This is perhaps the best written of the three films, giving each character a solid backstory.
1.1Similar background information about a real person or thing that promotes fuller understanding of it: the little-known backstory about the theory of evolution
More example sentences
- That about sums it all up and provides you with enough backstory and exposition to understand the article I am about to go into.
- But explaining the legend requires a little bit of backstory.
- There's a lot of political backstory to this, specifically, politicians going against the specific will of the voters in building a ball stadium, among other things.
Definition of backstory in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan