- A predatory aquatic bug that swims on its back using its long back legs as oars. It is able to capture large prey such as tadpoles and fish. See also water boatman.
More example sentences
- Family Notonectidae, suborder Heteroptera: Notonecta and other genera
- She pointed out damselfly larva, water beetles, tadpoles, backswimmers, dragon fly larva and snails as they circled around in our tiny sample of the marsh.
- Adult and larval backswimmers eat smaller animals in the water including bloodworms and aquatic larvae.
- Holding its pale back away from the sunlight makes the backswimmer harder for predators to spot.
More definitions of backswimmerDefinition of backswimmer in:
- The British & World English dictionary