Definition of backward-compatible in English:
(Of computer hardware or software) able to be used with an older piece of hardware or software without special adaptation or modification.
- The new specification is backward-compatible with FireWire 400, though it will need a special adapter to connect.
- All of the major tape suppliers have committed to standards and backward-compatible roadmaps that will ensure devices and software will be available that can read the tapes that are created today.
- Technically the only thing harder than making a new optical storage device is making it backward-compatible with something else.
backward compatibility noun
- Example sentences
- Among its various benefits, the patch breaks the backward compatibility of the user interface.
- The need to consider backward compatibility, with various operating systems, printers, and monitors, has now come to application design and development.
- This allows programmers to make improvements to the standard while retaining backward compatibility with earlier iterations.
Definition of backward-compatible in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia