Definition of bacteremia in English:
The presence of bacteria in the blood.
- Fever may be a marker of sepsis, localized infection, occult bacteremia, or benign illness.
- Invasive disease includes bacteremia, meningitis and infection in a normally sterile site, excluding the middle ear.
- Although severely malnourished children may not have obvious signs of infection such as fever and tachypnoea, the prevalence of bacteraemia, urinary tract infections, and pneumonia is high.
- Example sentences
- The infection may then rapidly progress to full-blown bacteremic septic shock, accompanied by hypotension, anuria, disseminated intravascular coagulation and hypoglycemia.
- Antibiotic prophylaxis is recommended for bacteremic procedures to prevent brain abscess.
- The direct clinical relevance of such rodent studies may not be immediately apparent, because humans with airway infection rarely become bacteremic or septic when infected with even the wild-type, more virulent organisms.
Definition of bacteremia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.