Definition of badderlocks in English:
plural nounchiefly Scottish
An edible seaweed with a long greenish frond and prominent midrib, occurring in northern Europe.
- Alaria esculenta, class Phaeophyceae
- Barnacle and small mussels cover much of the rock with kelps such as dabberlocks on the lower shore.
- The fronds of dabberlocks are often eroded by the savage battering they take from storms.
- He asserts that the western ebru technique using badderlocks and soluble pigments does not achieve the same aesthetic quality and diversity of the traditional method.
late 18th century: perhaps from Balderlocks, based on the name of the god Balder.
Definition of badderlocks in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia