Definition of baker in English:
1A person who makes bread and cakes, especially commercially.
- We had the candles, hatters, cobblers and bakers representing the strong trades in Rathkeale in the 19th century.
- The yeast used to make beer is the same type that is used to make bread - in fact, breweries used to sell their yeast to bakers for use in bread.
- When a baker sells his bread for money to a shoemaker, he has supplied the shoemaker with his saved unconsumed bread.
1.1 [often with modifier.] An oven for a particular purpose: a bread baker
More example sentences
- Hildebrand followed Timon's gaze to the slight girl leaning against the stall of a pastry baker.
- I joined your list his week because of an interest in making bread with a bread baker.
- My kids (22, 25) come for Sunday brunch and love the smell when they walk into the kitchen after I have programmed my bread baker.
Old English bæcere, from bacan (see bake).
Definition of baker in:
- British & World English dictionary