(also balaclava helmet)
- A close-fitting garment covering the whole head and neck except for parts of the face, typically made of wool.More example sentences
- They were all wearing balaclavas, dark close-fitting clothes and short bomber-style jackets.
- The man with the gun, clad from head to toe in black clothing and wearing a balaclava underneath the hood of his coat, asked for money.
- I suppose it could have been some sort of hat rather than a balaclava.
late 19th century (denoting a garment worn originally by soldiers serving in the Crimean War): named after the village of Balaclava in the Crimea (see Balaclava, Battle of).
More definitions of balaclavaDefinition of balaclava in:
- The British & World English dictionary