- The regulating device in a watch or clock.More example sentences
- Instead of a verge and foliot escapements they used a device called a balance wheel, which swung back and forth regulating the motion of the gears.
- In general, any lantern clock with a balance wheel has had its escapement restored.
- This oscillation is not exactly a parallel to the balance wheel and hairspring of a clockwork watch, but the fact is that both use oscillations to keep track of passing time.
More definitions of balance wheelDefinition of balance wheel in:
- The British & World English dictionary