Definition of ball bearing in English:
1A bearing between a wheel and a fixed axle, in which the rotating part and the stationary part are separated by a ring of small solid metal balls that reduce friction.
- Typical coefficient of friction for a ball bearing is about mu = 1.5e - 3
- The following week, I almost dropped a large metal ball bearing onto it, which would have shattered it.
- Daytona uses bushings instead of the ball bearing pivots of the upper-tier Campagnolo shifters, which allow for lighter control feel.
1.1A metal ball used in a ball bearing.
- She ricocheted down the street like a ball bearing in a pinball machine, feeling tiny and insignificant among the large and imposing aliens - a feeling she had never felt before, being a princess on her home planet.
- If you shake the can, the rattling ball bearing helps to mix up the propellant and the product, so the product is pushed out in a fine mist.
- I have never been able to significantly magnetize a ball bearing, so I'd guess that they are usually made of a rather ‘soft’ (low carbon) steel.
Definition of ball bearing in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.