Definition of ball bearing in English:
1A bearing between a wheel and a fixed axle, in which the rotating part and the stationary part are separated by a ring of small solid metal balls that reduce friction.
- Typical coefficient of friction for a ball bearing is about mu = 1.5e - 3
- The following week, I almost dropped a large metal ball bearing onto it, which would have shattered it.
- Daytona uses bushings instead of the ball bearing pivots of the upper-tier Campagnolo shifters, which allow for lighter control feel.
1.1A metal ball used in a ball bearing.
- She ricocheted down the street like a ball bearing in a pinball machine, feeling tiny and insignificant among the large and imposing aliens - a feeling she had never felt before, being a princess on her home planet.
- If you shake the can, the rattling ball bearing helps to mix up the propellant and the product, so the product is pushed out in a fine mist.
- I have never been able to significantly magnetize a ball bearing, so I'd guess that they are usually made of a rather ‘soft’ (low carbon) steel.
Definition of ball bearing in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan