The sport or pastime of flying in a balloon.
- Evans provides an admirable overview of early ballooning and of the first US and Confederate air forces.
- The only departure from this order occurs in an appendix on military ballooning during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
- North Carolina was a launching ground for real and imaginary ballooning adventures as early as 1789.
- Example sentences
- Lowe and his balloonists provided effective aerial reconnaissance during several major campaigns in 1862 and 1863.
- This latest adventure gives Fossett yet another aviation record, adding to the many he holds as a balloonist, pilot and sailor.
- Our balloonist Gaston fires the burner again, reheating the air to regain our lost altitude.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of ballooning in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.