- 1 (also balsa wood) A very lightweight wood used in particular for making models and rafts.More example sentences
- Aero modellers use balsa wood to fashion their models.
- Here at the launch site they were just a few dozen engineers and laborers in the deep wilderness, every blessed thing brought in piece by piece on balsa wood rafts.
- Iconic monster Godzilla has smashed up his last balsa wood model of Tokyo after the Japanese studio behind the films decided to end the long-running franchise.
- 2The fast-growing tropical American tree from which this wood is obtained.
More example sentences
- Ochroma lagopus (or pyramidale), family Bombacaceae
- We hiked up Vermont Valley with a guide, Ellroy, to look for indigenous wild St. Vincent parrots, through thick rain forest of figs, palms, balsa and incongruous pine trees.
- The only trees that are in danger are the hardwoods, such as balsa and African Blackwood, as these take far longer to grow than trees used for paper production.
- The company claims the tree is a genetically engineered plant that combines the best qualities of balsa, bamboo, and aspen, but the USDA has never heard of such a Frankenwood.
early 17th century (denoting a kind of South American raft or fishing boat): from Spanish, 'raft'.
More definitions of balsaDefinition of balsa in:
- The British & World English dictionary