Definition of balsam fir in English:
A North American fir tree that yields Canada balsam.
- Abies balsamea, family Pinaceae
- Like balsam fir, white fir is relatively difficult to establish in plantations, and growth after planting is often very irregular.
- The forests include such conifers as red spruce, black spruce, white spruce, balsam fir, red pine, jack pine, eastern white pine, tamarack, eastern white cedar, and eastern hemlock.
- Old-growth stands are thus characterized by a continuous low-canopy layer of balsam fir and white cedar from which taller birch and white spruce individuals emerge.
Definition of balsam fir in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.