Definition of bamboo in English:
1A giant woody grass that grows chiefly in the tropics, where it is widely cultivated.
- Bambusa and other genera, family Gramineae
- Grasses, sedges and bamboos are grown mostly for their foliage and anything that enhances that effect is worth having.
- The towering banana trees, giant bamboos and coconut palms were surrounded by endless varieties of smaller plants and flowers.
- His slides showed examples of phormium, umbellifors, ferns and grasses, such as yuccas, angelica, tree ferns, bamboos and pampas grass.
1.1The hollow jointed stem of the bamboo plant, used as a cane or to make furniture and implements: [as modifier]: a bamboo serving tray
More example sentences
- Sometimes, the placing and spacing requires a bit of thought, so I poke in small bamboo canes where I want plants to go.
- The neighboring village of Bona is also known as a major producer of bamboo furniture and basketry.
- We also organise festivals to popularise bamboo furniture and local art forms.
Words that rhyme with bambooaccrue, adieu, ado, anew, Anjou, aperçu, askew, ballyhoo, bedew, bestrew, billet-doux, blew, blue, boo, boohoo, brew, buckaroo, canoe, chew, clew, clou, clue, cock-a-doodle-doo, cockatoo, construe, coo, Corfu, coup, crew, Crewe, cru, cue, déjà vu, derring-do, dew, didgeridoo, do, drew, due, endue, ensue, eschew, feu, few, flew, flu, flue, foreknew, glue, gnu, goo, grew, halloo, hereto, hew, Hindu, hitherto, how-do-you-do, hue, Hugh, hullabaloo, imbrue, imbue, jackaroo, Jew, kangaroo, Karroo, Kathmandu, kazoo, Kiangsu, knew, Kru, K2, kung fu, Lahu, Lanzhou, Lao-tzu, lasso, lieu, loo, Lou, Manchu, mangetout, mew, misconstrue, miscue, moo, moue, mu, nardoo, new, non-U, nu, ooh, outdo, outflew, outgrew, peekaboo, Peru, pew, plew, Poitou, pooh, pooh-pooh, potoroo, pursue, queue, revue, roo, roux, rue, Selous, set-to, shampoo, shih-tzu, shoe, shoo, shrew, Sioux, skean dhu, skew, skidoo, slew, smew, snafu, sou, spew, sprue, stew, strew, subdue, sue, switcheroo, taboo, tattoo, thereto, thew, threw, thro, through, thru, tickety-boo, Timbuktu, tiramisu, to, to-do, too, toodle-oo, true, true-blue, tu-whit tu-whoo, two, vendue, view, vindaloo, virtu, wahoo, wallaroo, Waterloo, well-to-do, whereto, whew, who, withdrew, woo, Wu, yew, you, zoo
Definition of bamboo in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.