- 1A giant woody grass that grows chiefly in the tropics, where it is widely cultivated.
More example sentences
- Bambusa and other genera, family Gramineae
- Grasses, sedges and bamboos are grown mostly for their foliage and anything that enhances that effect is worth having.
- The towering banana trees, giant bamboos and coconut palms were surrounded by endless varieties of smaller plants and flowers.
- His slides showed examples of phormium, umbellifors, ferns and grasses, such as yuccas, angelica, tree ferns, bamboos and pampas grass.
- 1.1The hollow jointed stem of the bamboo plant, used as a cane or to make furniture and implements: [as modifier]: a bamboo serving trayMore example sentences
- Sometimes, the placing and spacing requires a bit of thought, so I poke in small bamboo canes where I want plants to go.
- The neighboring village of Bona is also known as a major producer of bamboo furniture and basketry.
- We also organise festivals to popularise bamboo furniture and local art forms.
late 16th century: from Dutch bamboes, based on Malay mambu.
More definitions of bambooDefinition of bamboo in:
- The British & World English dictionary