Definition of bananaquit in English:
A small songbird with a curved bill, typically with a white stripe over the eye, a sooty gray back, and yellow underparts. It is common in the West Indies and Central and South America.
- Coereba flaveola, the only member of the family Coerebidae (sometimes placed in the subfamily Parulinae, family Emberizidae)
- Roasted-on-site coffees in hand, guests gather at 6 a.m. on the veranda to watch the sun rise over the Arima Valley and ogle the yellow bananaquits and ruby-topaz hummingbirds.
- Endemic subspecies include Caribbean elaenia, bananaquit, loggerhead kingbird, thick-billed vireo, and vitelline warbler (confined to the Cayman and Swan Islands).
- Around me was the tiny hoot of ground doves and the twittering of bananaquits.
Definition of bananaquit in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan