Definition of banderole in English:
1A narrow flaglike object, in particular.
- A charming infant St John twines up in one corner with his olive-twig cross and his Agnus Dei banderole.
- The old ritual demanded that a pine tree be cut down and decorated with flower garlands and banderoles before its setting up in the temple.
1.3A ribbonlike stone scroll bearing an inscription.
- The banderole bears the inscription ‘Asperges Me Hyssopo,’ a phrase from Psalm 51: 7.
- The tympanum over the center door is carved with a representation of Jesus, flanked by angels, and standing on a banderole inscribed: ‘I am the door’.
- The text on the banderole on the left reads (in translation), ‘a welcome meal for a guest who has come from afar,’ above which in smaller characters is, ‘written for the owner of the Western Garden.’
Mid 16th century: from French, from Italian banderuola, diminutive of bandiera 'banner'.
Definition of banderole in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.