Entry from British & World English dictionary
The Bengali language.
- Bengali, or Bangla, is the language spoken by most of the people of Bangladesh as well as those in the Indian states of Bengal and parts of Assam.
- Sujit Mukherjee's first language was Bangla, but he wrote English like a master.
- As Tilottoma Misra suggests, in Assam the Asamiya language was restored to its rightful place in schools by the missionaries though the British administration had replaced the language with Bangla.
- ‘And since this will be our first attempt at a Bangla album, we are quite upbeat about it,’ he says.
- Over 1,200 persons including nine Trinamool Congress MLAs, were arrested in connection with the 12-hour Bangla bandh today.
- I know we will come out of this phase because we have also set up a production line in audiocassettes of Bangla songs, which belong to different genres of music.
- The Iranian language, i.e. Persian, was the official language of Bengal throughout the Muslim Period and Persian literature enormously influenced Bangla literature.
- Kolkata has a healthy history of local rock music groups doing both Bangla and English rock.
- It was but natural that the Bangla team lost all its outings in the 8-team event.
From Bengali bāṅglā.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.