An evergreen Australian shrub that typically has narrow, leathery leaves and spikes of bottlebrushlike flowers.
- Genus Banksia, family Proteaceae
More example sentences
- The pavilions will house plants from temperate regions of the southern hemisphere such as passion flowers, camellias, banksias, tea trees and wattles.
- Her last design, a tall stand, displayed large palm leaves and monstera leaves, with banksias, five red exotic lilies, stralitzias and bronze anthuriums.
- The Bangalow palm, the waratah, the fire-wheel flower, the banksia and the Sturt desert pea are all captured in this way.
modern Latin, named after Sir Joseph Banks (see Banks, Sir Joseph).
More definitions of banksiaDefinition of banksia in:
- The British & World English dictionary