- The playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks: there was much singing and good-natured banterMore example sentences
- The verbal sparring and playful banter with her is really starting to ratchet up some interesting tension.
- After spending time in friendly, confidence-winning banter, Dave made it clear he had more on his mind.
- I missed my Dad a lot in the Philippines, especially our playful banter.
verb[no object] Back to top
- Talk or exchange remarks in a good-humored teasing way: the men bantered with the waitresses (as adjective bantering) a bantering toneMore example sentences
- Andrei teases and banters with just about every word, although his humor isn't odd and deadpan like Anikei's - it's lighter and brighter and more relaxed.
- The family wants to thank everyone for their visits and support, as well as the nurses with whom he joked and bantered.
- Chip's tone was bantering, but the words made their point.
late 17th century: of unknown origin.