Definition of banyan in English:
noun(also banyan tree)
An Indian fig tree whose branches produce aerial roots that later become accessory trunks. A mature tree may cover several acres in this manner.
- Ficus benghalensis, family Moraceae
- The monument is a massive flagpole entwined with the trunk and branches of a symbolic banyan tree forged in steel.
- Then it scampered off up the aerial roots of a nearby banyan tree.
- A porter stops to rest under the shade of a huge banyan tree, its trunk twisting out of the earth and its umbrella-like branches arching over a granite stairway.
Definition of banyan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan