noun(also banyan tree)
An Indian fig tree whose branches produce aerial roots that later become accessory trunks. A mature tree may cover several acres in this manner.
- Ficus benghalensis, family Moraceae
More example sentences
- The monument is a massive flagpole entwined with the trunk and branches of a symbolic banyan tree forged in steel.
- Then it scampered off up the aerial roots of a nearby banyan tree.
- A porter stops to rest under the shade of a huge banyan tree, its trunk twisting out of the earth and its umbrella-like branches arching over a granite stairway.
Definition of banyan in:
- The British & World English dictionary