- 1The religious initiation ceremony of a Jewish boy who has reached the age of 13 and is regarded as ready to observe religious precepts and eligible to take part in public worship.More example sentences
- A bat mitzvah, the female equivalent of a bar mitzvah, is a Jewish coming of age ceremony for girls aged 12 and over.
- We have the same thing for various other institutions like a bar mitzvah, which celebrates Jewish adulthood at 13, but for the state it is 18.
- The Jewish bar mitzvah, for example, celebrates a boy's entry into adolescence, and most of tribal Africa holds puberty rituals which may include dance, music, or seclusion.
- 1.1A boy undergoing the bar mitzvah ceremony.More example sentences
- The Great Depression happened as he reached the bar mitzvah age of 14.
- In addition, on the Shabbat following the bar mitzvah boy's thirteenth birthday, he is called to the Torah during morning services at the synagogue to recite the blessing on the Haftorah.
- At this point a boy is said to become Bar Mitzvah.
verb[with object] (usually be bar mitzvahed) Back to top
- Celebrate the bar mitzvah of (a boy).More example sentences
- But I never lit Chanukah candles, and I wasn't bar mitzvahed.
- Shortly after Israel was bar mitzvahed, Moses died, and the following year young Izzy left home and school to try his luck at street singing.
- The play centers on grandfather Gabe, a concentration-camp survivor and sculptor, working on a bust of Muhammad Ali, when his grandson, Michael, soon to be bar mitzvahed, drops in.
mid 19th century: from Hebrew bar miṣwāh, literally 'son of the commandment'.
More definitions of bar mitzvahDefinition of bar mitzvah in:
- The British & World English dictionary