noun (plural barberries)
A thorny shrub that bears yellow flowers and red or blue-black berries.
- Genus Berberis, family Berberidaceae: many species, including the American barberry (B. canadensis), with widely toothed leaves, and the European barberry (B. vulgaris), with more closely toothed leaves
More example sentences
- They are also attracted by the berries on the holly and some of the dogwoods and barberries around the yard, as well as the flowers with seedpods that I left for them in the main garden.
- Swirling robins and starlings competed for the red berries of the barberry and the blue berries of the privet.
- The barberry bushes have bright red little berries for all the world like Redhot candies.
late Middle English: from Old French berberis. The change in the ending was due to association with berry.
More definitions of barberryDefinition of barberry in:
- The British & World English dictionary