Definition of barberry in English:
noun (plural barberries)
A thorny shrub that bears yellow flowers and red or blue-black berries.
- Genus Berberis, family Berberidaceae: many species, including the American barberry (B. canadensis), with widely toothed leaves, and the European barberry (B. vulgaris), with more closely toothed leaves
- They are also attracted by the berries on the holly and some of the dogwoods and barberries around the yard, as well as the flowers with seedpods that I left for them in the main garden.
- Swirling robins and starlings competed for the red berries of the barberry and the blue berries of the privet.
- The barberry bushes have bright red little berries for all the world like Redhot candies.
Words that rhyme with barberryBarbary
Definition of barberry in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan