Definition of barbershop in English:
1chiefly North American A shop where a barber works.
- Beauty salons and barbershops entice potential customers with colorful portraits of well-coifed heads that look more like art pieces than hairstyles.
- Sell your music at flea markets, barbershops, beauty salons, birthday parties, car washes, and any place you think people will buy it.
- These intervention programs make use of lay leadership in churches, schools, beauty salons, barbershops, tattoo and body piercing salons, and laundromats.
1.1 [often as modifier] A popular style of close harmony singing, typically for four male voices: a barbershop quartet
[From the custom in the 16th and 17th centuries of passing time in a barbershop by harmonizing to a lute or guitar provided to entertain customers waiting their turn]
More example sentences
- Hip-hop's barbershop quartet, Jurassic Five, returns with Power in Numbers two years after their decent full-length debut, Quality Control.
- For almost a century, ‘Down in Jungle Town’ has been a favorite with barbershop quartets because it permits close harmony at a rapid tempo.
- His harmony parts for the ‘Gentlemen of the Ensemble’ frame the 1906 tune in perfect barbershop style.
Words that rhyme with barbershopworkshop • ragtop
Definition of barbershop in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan