Definition of barbet in English:
- Family Capitonidae: numerous genera and species
- Lovebirds, barbets, tits and finches warm themselves in the cozy chambers built by the weavers.
- The green hills are a-quiver with babblers, bushchats, bulbuls, barbets, crow pheasants, and the laughing thrush of the Palni hills.
- ‘We feed the birds in our garden and have enjoyed seeing several parents feeding their young - among them bulbuls, barbets, mousebirds and weavers,’ she says.
Late 16th century (denoting a poodle until the early 19th century): from French, from barbe 'beard' (see barb1). The current sense dates from the early 19th century.
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.