Definition of bark beetle in English:
A small wood-boring beetle that tunnels under the bark of trees, which die if heavily infested.
- Family Scolytidae: many genera and species, including the smaller European elm bark beetle (Scolytus multistriatus), which is responsible for the spread of the fungus that causes Dutch elm disease
- The species have decimated pine tree populations in India and are similar to the bark beetle that has ravaged forests in the western United States.
- I can imagine an intelligent bark beetle pondering why it is that the oak tree on which it has deposited its eggs is so well suited to their growth.
- After several years of drought, which may be related to global warming, pine trees have become vulnerable to the bark beetle.
Definition of bark beetle in:
- British & World English dictionary