Definition of barley sugar in English:
An amber-colored candy made of boiled sugar, traditionally shaped as a twisted stick.
- Nearly eight years after Victory in Europe, the limit on jelly babies, pastilles, liquorice, barley sugar sticks, lemonade powder and chocolate bars was finally lifted.
- To make barley sugar, white sugar is melted without water.
- The rest of the shopping was a bit of an anti-climax after the coffee - even the stick of barley sugar I bought lost some of its significance.
adjective(barley-sugar) [attributive] Back to top
Shaped like twisted barley-sugar sticks.
- The bottle is tall and elegant with almost a barley-sugar, twisted moulding.
- This situation is reversed in Nicholas Stone's porch for St Mary's church, Oxford, where barley-sugar columns, redolent of Bernini, support a traditional fan-vaulted roof.
- The individually decorated rooms continue the house theme, stylish and slightly quirky - one has a vast lean-in wardrobe rescued from a girl's school, another boasts a great black four-poster with a barley sugar twist to the posts.
Definition of barley sugar in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan