Definition of barley sugar in English:
An amber-colored candy made of boiled sugar, traditionally shaped as a twisted stick.
- Nearly eight years after Victory in Europe, the limit on jelly babies, pastilles, liquorice, barley sugar sticks, lemonade powder and chocolate bars was finally lifted.
- To make barley sugar, white sugar is melted without water.
- The rest of the shopping was a bit of an anti-climax after the coffee - even the stick of barley sugar I bought lost some of its significance.
adjective(barley-sugar) [attributive] Back to top
Shaped like twisted barley-sugar sticks.
- The bottle is tall and elegant with almost a barley-sugar, twisted moulding.
- This situation is reversed in Nicholas Stone's porch for St Mary's church, Oxford, where barley-sugar columns, redolent of Bernini, support a traditional fan-vaulted roof.
- The individually decorated rooms continue the house theme, stylish and slightly quirky - one has a vast lean-in wardrobe rescued from a girl's school, another boasts a great black four-poster with a barley sugar twist to the posts.
Definition of barley sugar in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.