Definition of barn owl in English:
An owl with a heart-shaped face, dark eyes, and relatively long, slender legs. It typically nests in farm buildings or in holes in trees.
- Genus Tyto, family Tytonidae: three species, especially the white-faced T. alba, which is found throughout the world
- Harry Potter had Hedwig as his pet owl but youngsters at a Bolton school went three better when an eagle owl, a tawny owl and a barn owl flew in.
- We did a conducted night drive and spotted many nocturnal small animals, including genet and mongoose, a barn owl up a tree eating a mouse and nightjars sitting on eggs.
- Such a sight is sadly no longer common across Norfolk fields but at Strumpshaw Fen, near Norwich, the barn owl, with its distinctive white heart-shaped face, is breeding again.
Definition of barn owl in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan