Definition of barnacle goose in English:
A goose with a white face and black neck, breeding in the arctic tundra of Greenland and northern Europe.
- Branta leucopsis, family Anatidae
- Based on genetic similarities, the second group would also include the barnacle goose, a population of distinctive-looking geese that is currently recognized as a species by itself.
- For instance, detailed study of the DNA of the barnacle goose has located its origin on a twig of the Canada goose's family tree.
- So the barnacle goose and the small Canada geese were more closely related to each other than the small Canada goose was to the large Canada goose.
Mid 18th century: see barnacle.
Definition of barnacle goose in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan