verb[no object] chiefly North American
1Tour rural districts giving theatrical performances, originally often in barns.
- He tells the life of a child in a family troupe of actors as they barnstorm the West and South, including a stint near the front during the Mexican-American War.
- Paige, in particular, became nationally famous through barnstorming around the country.
- San Francisco poets Tarin Towers and Daphne Gottlieb, Eitan Kadosh from L.A. and Phoenix's Eirein Bradley barnstormed with O'Hara through 35 U.S. cities over the summer.
1.1 [with object] Make a rapid tour of (an area), typically as part of a political campaign.
- Bush won the midterms for Republicans by barnstorming the country attacking Democrats for not passing his homeland security bill.
- Each turn, you can barnstorm campaign in targeting ridings, travel province to province, give speeches, fundraise, or prepare for debates.
- Winchell then declares his candidacy for president and barnstorms the black heart of America.
1.2Travel around giving exhibitions of flying and performing aeronautical stunts: (as noun barnstorming) barnstorming had become a popular occupation among many trained pilots
More example sentences
- Besides hauling passengers on airshow barnstorming flights, J.R. uses the Stearman for banner and glider towing and scenic flights.
- When completed, Art started barnstorming the lumbering biplane throughout the Midwest.
- Carl and the Special stayed on the aviation scene joining the Flying Aces Air Circus in the late 1920s with Jessie Woods walking on the wings, as well as barnstorming.
- Example sentences
- The Utterly Butterly barnstormers wowed the crowds with their daring aerobatics on top of the biplanes.
- I've also stunned myself by loving a Faithless record - alright, Mass Destruction sounds like Black Steel by Tricky, but that doesn't stop it being a full-on barnstormer of a tune.
- Lindbergh started his aviation career as a barnstormer, a trick pilot who performed stunts for audiences in the 1920s.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of barnstorm in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.