noun (plural same or barracudas)
- A large, predatory tropical marine fish with a slender body and large jaws and teeth.
More example sentences
- Genus Sphyraena, family Sphyraenidae: several species, in particular the inedible and poisonous great barracuda (S. barracuda) and the edible Pacific barracuda (S. argentea)
- The wrecks are home to a wide variety of corals and marine life including angelfish, barracudas, margates, sharks, snappers and turtles.
- It has been observed that great barracudas herd schools of fish into shallow water and guard them.
- It is here that divers may encounter anything from schooling batfish, barracudas to a sailfish, or even the whale shark.
late 17th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of barracudaDefinition of barracuda in:
- The British & World English dictionary