Definition of basal metabolic rate in English:
The rate at which the body uses energy while at rest to keep vital functions going, such as breathing and keeping warm.
- If rapid growth rates reflect the basal metabolic rates of sauropods, then these giant dinosaurs can no longer be regarded as ‘good reptiles.’
- The forager expends 1 unit of energy per time period as a basal metabolic rate, independent of what it is doing.
- For every 0.6 [degrees] C increase in core temperature, there is a 10 percent elevation in the basal metabolic rate.
basal metabolism noun
- Example sentences
- In rodents, sympathetic activation of brown fat appears to play an important role in increasing thermogenesis and basal metabolism via activation of uncoupling proteins.
- Some sources use the terms resting metabolic rate or resting energy expenditure to describe basal metabolism.
- This involuntary activity is known as basal metabolism and represents about 60 percent of your body's energy need.
Definition of basal metabolic rate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia