Definition of base runner in English:
A player on the team at bat who is on a base, or running between bases.
- In 1926, the rule was changed, giving a batter credit for a sacrifice fly if any base runner advances on the catch.
- He was a better hitter and base runner than either Phil Rizzuto or Pee Wee Reese.
- The pitch was called ‘ball four’ entitling Ugeto to second base, but the Seattle base runner overslid the bag unaware that McLemore had received a free pass.
base-running (or baserunning) noun
- Example sentences
- Like Gross, first baseman Vic Power was no base-running dynamo during his career, with just 34 stolen bases in 12 seasons, yet is among only 11 players to steal home twice in a game.
- But the Pirate catcher committed an uncharacteristic base-running mistake.
- There's no fielding, no base-running, not even the chance of an error.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan