Definition of base runner in English:
A player on the team at bat who is on a base, or running between bases.
- In 1926, the rule was changed, giving a batter credit for a sacrifice fly if any base runner advances on the catch.
- He was a better hitter and base runner than either Phil Rizzuto or Pee Wee Reese.
- The pitch was called ‘ball four’ entitling Ugeto to second base, but the Seattle base runner overslid the bag unaware that McLemore had received a free pass.
- base-running (or baserunning) noun
- Example sentences
- Like Gross, first baseman Vic Power was no base-running dynamo during his career, with just 34 stolen bases in 12 seasons, yet is among only 11 players to steal home twice in a game.
- But the Pirate catcher committed an uncharacteristic base-running mistake.
- There's no fielding, no base-running, not even the chance of an error.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.