1The floor of a building partly or entirely below ground level.
- The house is divided horizontally so that she has the basement and ground floor and he has the first and second.
- Radon levels are generally highest in basements and ground floor rooms that are in contact with the soil.
- They all have two storeys - either basement and ground, or first floor and attic space.
1.1 Geology The oldest formation of rocks underlying a particular area.
- The best preserved eclogites are found in mafic rocks hosted within the basement sequence.
- However, basement rocks can also be inferred from exposures in the uplands that surround the basin.
- The nature of the magnetic basement underlying the east side of the profile is enigmatic.
Mid 18th century: probably from archaic Dutch basement 'foundation', perhaps from Italian basamento 'column base'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.