- A fungus whose spores develop in basidia. Basidiomycetes include the majority of familiar mushrooms and toadstools. Compare with ascomycete.
More example sentences
- Phylum Basidiomycota: classes Basidiomycetes ( mushrooms, toadstools, puffballs, earthstars, stinkhorns, polypores), Teliomycetes (rusts), and Ustomycetes (smuts)
- Fungal pathogens come from two main groups of fungi, the ascomycetes (rusts and smuts) and the basidiomycetes (the higher fungi - mushrooms, toadstools, and bracket fungi).
- Both basidiomycetes and ascomycetes developed the ability to digest plant tissues early on.
- In all such analyses, the chytrids were the deepest branch of fungi, followed by zygomycetes and then basidiomycetes and ascomycetes.
late 19th century: anglicized singular of modern Latin Basidiomycetes, from basidium (see basidium) + Greek mukētes 'fungi'.
More definitions of basidiomyceteDefinition of basidiomycete in:
- The British & World English dictionary