Definition of basidiomycete in English:
A fungus whose spores develop in basidia. Basidiomycetes include the majority of familiar mushrooms and toadstools. Compare with ascomycete.
- Phylum Basidiomycota: classes Basidiomycetes (mushrooms, toadstools, puffballs, earthstars, stinkhorns, polypores), Teliomycetes (rusts), and Ustomycetes (smuts)
- Fungal pathogens come from two main groups of fungi, the ascomycetes (rusts and smuts) and the basidiomycetes (the higher fungi - mushrooms, toadstools, and bracket fungi).
- Both basidiomycetes and ascomycetes developed the ability to digest plant tissues early on.
- In all such analyses, the chytrids were the deepest branch of fungi, followed by zygomycetes and then basidiomycetes and ascomycetes.
Definition of basidiomycete in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan