Definition of basidiomycete in English:
A fungus whose spores develop in basidia. Basidiomycetes include the majority of familiar mushrooms and toadstools. Compare with ascomycete.
- Phylum Basidiomycota: classes Basidiomycetes (mushrooms, toadstools, puffballs, earthstars, stinkhorns, polypores), Teliomycetes (rusts), and Ustomycetes (smuts)
- Fungal pathogens come from two main groups of fungi, the ascomycetes (rusts and smuts) and the basidiomycetes (the higher fungi - mushrooms, toadstools, and bracket fungi).
- Both basidiomycetes and ascomycetes developed the ability to digest plant tissues early on.
- In all such analyses, the chytrids were the deepest branch of fungi, followed by zygomycetes and then basidiomycetes and ascomycetes.
Definition of basidiomycete in:
- British & World English dictionary