noun (plural basidia /-ˈsidēə/)
- A microscopic, club-shaped spore-bearing structure produced by certain fungi.More example sentences
- Under continuous light, the maturation starts but stops halfway: meiosis in the basidia is arrested at prophase I, the stipe elongates only slightly, and the pileus does not expand.
- Most importantly, monokaryotic hyphae can produce basidia and spores that are indistinguishable from sexually produced spores, except that they are all the same mating type.
- After a few more days of incubation, the ends of some mycelia may enlarge and form basidia within which nuclear fusion and meiosis may occur.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek basidion, diminutive of basis (see basis).
More definitions of basidiumDefinition of basidium in:
- The British & World English dictionary