Definition of basil in English:
1An aromatic annual herb of the mint family, native to tropical Asia.
- Genus Ocimum, family Labiatae: several species, in particular the common sweet basil (O. basilicum) and the low-growing, compact bush basil O. minimum
- Elsewhere, the best approach is to treat it as an annual herb such as basil.
- No wonder basil is among our favorite annual herbs.
- Some people were sitting and having an argument on who watered the basil and sage last.
1.1The leaves of the basil plant used as a culinary herb, especially in Mediterranean dishes.
- Choose five of the following fresh herbs: flat-leaf parsley, chives, mint, chervil, basil, dill, tarragon.
- Remove from the heat, add the parsley, thyme, basil, tarragon, chervil, and chives and stir to combine.
- I am now the proud owner of all the fresh basil, bay leaves, thyme, sage and parsley a girl could want.
Words that rhyme with basilbedazzle, dazzle, frazzle, razzle
Definition of basil in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.