Definition of basil in English:
1An aromatic annual herb of the mint family, native to tropical Asia.
- Genus Ocimum, family Labiatae: several species, in particular the common sweet basil (O. basilicum) and the low-growing, compact bush basil O. minimum
- Elsewhere, the best approach is to treat it as an annual herb such as basil.
- No wonder basil is among our favorite annual herbs.
- Some people were sitting and having an argument on who watered the basil and sage last.
1.1The leaves of the basil plant used as a culinary herb, especially in Mediterranean dishes.
- Choose five of the following fresh herbs: flat-leaf parsley, chives, mint, chervil, basil, dill, tarragon.
- Remove from the heat, add the parsley, thyme, basil, tarragon, chervil, and chives and stir to combine.
- I am now the proud owner of all the fresh basil, bay leaves, thyme, sage and parsley a girl could want.
Words that rhyme with basilbedazzle, dazzle, frazzle, razzle
Definition of basil in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan