- A less prestigious dialect or variety of a particular language (used especially in the study of Creoles). Compare with acrolect, mesolect.More example sentences
- At this time the great majority of people in the community were speakers primarily of this basilect.
- Some like the basilect and some like the acrolect.
- English would be the acrolect while Jamaican would be the basilect.
- More example sentences
- They are arranged along a post-Creole continuum which has acrolectal (those varieties closest to the superstrate) at one end and basilectal (those varieties furthest from it) at the other.
- Furthermore, labels such as rare, historical, rural and basilectal help to categorize the items.
- The article focuses on the basilectal features of the oldest speaker and considers how such features became stigmatized.
Pronunciation: /ˌbāzəˈlektəl, ˌbaz-/adjective
More definitions of basilectDefinition of basilect in:
- The British & World English dictionary