- A large marine cetacean of the Eocene epoch, having a long, slender body and vestigial fore and hind limbs. Fossils were discovered in the early 1990s.
More example sentences
- Genus Basilosaurus, suborder Archaeoceti, order Cetacea
- Although Basilosaurus possessed a fluke and peduncle, Buchholtz dismisses these features because they are too short relative to body length.
- One of these was pictured in the exhibition - the Basilosaurus.
- In Basilosaurus, nearly all of these structures lay within the body wall, and most parts were immobile.
modern Latin, from Greek basileus 'king' + sauros 'lizard'.
More definitions of basilosaurusDefinition of basilosaurus in:
- The British & World English dictionary