Definition of basilosaurus in English:
A large marine cetacean of the Eocene epoch, having a long, slender body and vestigial fore and hind limbs. Fossils were discovered in the early 1990s.
- Genus Basilosaurus, suborder Archaeoceti, order Cetacea
- Although Basilosaurus possessed a fluke and peduncle, Buchholtz dismisses these features because they are too short relative to body length.
- One of these was pictured in the exhibition - the Basilosaurus.
- In Basilosaurus, nearly all of these structures lay within the body wall, and most parts were immobile.
Definition of basilosaurus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.