Definition of basilosaurus in English:
A large marine cetacean of the Eocene epoch, having a long, slender body and vestigial fore and hind limbs. Fossils were discovered in the early 1990s.
- Genus Basilosaurus, suborder Archaeoceti, order Cetacea
- Although Basilosaurus possessed a fluke and peduncle, Buchholtz dismisses these features because they are too short relative to body length.
- One of these was pictured in the exhibition - the Basilosaurus.
- In Basilosaurus, nearly all of these structures lay within the body wall, and most parts were immobile.
Definition of basilosaurus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan