- 1A container used to hold or carry things, typically made from interwoven strips of cane or wire: a laundry basketMore example sentences
- Place dishes in a wire basket or other container and dip them in a sanitizing solution.
- Something else struck me in the picture, and that was that the women going about their shopping all carried baskets or shopping bags, not a plastic carrier in sight.
- Many of these were used for other purposes, such as laundry baskets or to carry alcohol.
- 1.1 (also shopping basket) A facility on a website that records items selected by a customer for purchase until the transaction is completed: click on the order button to add a title to your basketMore example sentences
- Cookies are small pieces of information which are used to make your journey through the site smoother by remembering what you did last or what you added to your basket.
- Just remember: putting an item in your basket doesn't mean that you have reserved it - you could go to checkout to find that another person has already bought it.
- Browse and add items to your basket, and then enter the voucher code when prompted to take advantage of this discount.
- 1.2A structure suspended from a hot-air balloon for carrying the crew, equipment, and ballast.More example sentences
- When partially inflated, the air is heated by a burner and the envelope rises above the basket.
- The heated air that lifts the balloon comes from a hydrocarbon gas burner attached above the basket.
- Explore beautiful Colorado from the basket of a hot air balloon.
- 1.3 Finance A group or range of currencies or investments: the European currency unit is made up of a basket of ten currenciesMore example sentences
- However, the central bank persisted in pegging the baht to a basket of currencies in which the dollar had 80 per cent influence.
- Now it is possible that in the first six months of next year, they move to an exchange rate that is tied to a basket of currencies.
- Consequently, he is advising investors to buy a basket of commodities such as copper, sugar, cotton, corn and crude oil.
- 2 Basketball A net fixed on a hoop used as the goal.More example sentences
- Put two good rebounders close to the basket and designate one player to box out the shooter.
- Most of his points came from dunks when receiving the ball near the basket.
- But my teammates have called on me to be aggressive and take the ball to the baskets, so I'm learning how to do that, too.
- 2.1A goal scored.More example sentences
- They almost won, even though they only scored 2 real baskets the whole game.
- We went out and scored the first basket in the second half and couldn't continue the pace.
- Many of his title game baskets were scored after setting up deep in the low post.
Middle English: from Old French basket, of unknown ultimate origin.